Siding - special panels of the same size, used for exterior decoration of walls of buildings and structures. The panels are equipped with a lock in the form of a latch, perforated edge and holes for mounting and easy installation. This is the most popular facing material, which is designed to perform the following functions:
- protect the walls from the influence of weather conditions - rain, snow, wind, sun;
- to decorate the surface, improving their aesthetic perception.
Panels that visually mimic the surface of the timber or the boarding of ships, are called shipboard siding. When looking at the slats from the side, a profile in the form of a double bend, which resembles waves running on each other, is clearly visible. They are ideally fitted to each other, forming a monolithic surface.
Ship siding is widely used for exterior wall cladding:
- private houses and utility buildings;
- public facilities;
- industrial buildings.
The material that is used to manufacture the panels determines the presence of two types of siding: vinyl and metal. The texture of the surface of the skin under the ship's board can be smooth or embossed and can reproduce with accuracy such natural materials as wood or stone.
The material for the manufacture of metal panels are sheets of galvanized steel. In order to protect against the effects of various atmospheric factors, the subsequent polymer coating is performed. Metal products have important qualities:
- maintain temperature drops;
- resistant to mechanical stress;
- not afraid of fire;
- do not fade in the sun;
- used for covering buildings with incomplete shrinkage.
Metal does not change its properties at low temperatures, so you can work with it in the winter. The listed material qualities determine the performance characteristics of the finished product. Metal panels have higher technical and operational properties than vinyl counterparts. Metal siding endures mechanical impact: it does not break, although it can bend or get a dent with the possibility of subsequent recovery.
The price of metal siding depends on the class of coating, its protective properties and resistance to fading. The surface of the panels is painted in two ways:
- applying a protective and decorative polymer layer - which makes it possible to get 8 colors;
- powder method - allows you to not limit the color range, but significantly increases the price of products, increasing it by 20%.
The width of the metal siding panel is 26 cm, and the length can be up to 6 m. This size is convenient for facing large areas. On the one hand, this is a plus, and on the other hand, there is a lack of this material: a considerable specific weight and dimensions of the finished product limit its applicability.
Vinyl siding ship board is made of PVC with the addition of modifiers. Vinyl is a biologically inert and sufficiently durable moisture resistant material. It is not combustible, but is deformed under the influence of temperatures and collapses with strong directional impacts. To improve the performance of the finished panels produce lamination by applying an acrylic film. This technique protects products from burnout, increases durability and frost resistance.
Universal finishing material - vinyl siding "ship timber" - has a wide range of shades and texture options: it can be smooth, repeating the pattern of tree bark, stone, brick. The building materials market offers a wide range of siding, which allows you to create unique options for facades. For residential buildings, textures of trees are most often used, and for lining non-residential objects, smooth panels of various colors are used.
Modern material of which the siding is made, belongs to the high class of fire safety. Panels do not burn, do not melt and reliably protect buildings from the effects of adverse factors and climatic impacts.
Both metal and vinyl siding are equally in demand among finishing materials, but, despite the obvious advantages of both, you can highlight some of the advantages of vinyl over metal siding:
- democratic cost - lower than metal panels;
- a greater coefficient of thermal insulation - less heated and cooled depending on the time of year - you can touch such a surface without fear in heat and cold;
- due to its lower weight, it is suitable for covering walls that are not designed for heavy loads;
- convenience in transportation and storage.
Knowing the characteristics of the ship siding from different materials, it is easy to make a choice in favor of a particular type of finishing material.
Advantages over other types of facades
Shipboard timber is considered one of the most convenient profiles for installation and subsequent maintenance. Among the other advantages of this type of finishing material are the following common positive aspects of vinyl and metal siding "shipboard":
- optimum ratio of high quality and reasonable price;
- the thought-over geometrical form of panels;
- rich color range for any design project;
- creating a solid surface with sealed joints;
- high resistance to external influences due to stiffeners;
- possibility of additional insulation and waterproofing facades.
All of these qualities allow you to make a choice in favor of this type of finishing of the facade of buildings and structures.
Ways to use siding
The technology of cladding panels is not difficult and does not require professional skills. It requires only strict adherence to the sequence of work performed during installation of siding according to the instructions from the manufacturer.
- check of verticals and lathing with a metal profile or wooden bars;
- if required, insulation and waterproofing are carried out: an insulating material (mineral wool) is placed between the battens of the batten and covered with a membrane against dampness;
- On top of it, another crate is installed vertically for ventilation and as a base for plating;
- after the insulation works, the walls are re-checked by level.
- starts from the bottom of the building, strictly horizontally;
- pre-marked surface of the entire facade;
- at the bottom is mounted starting, at the top - the final level;
- panels lock cling one after another;
- the top of each subsequent panel is attached to the wall with nails or screws;
- The last panel is installed in the upper end plate.
Profiles fasten to each other without undue tension. During the work in the winter period the sizes of technological gaps increase to 10 mm. Heads of nails or screws do not sink to the stop, and between the strips leave space for expansion in case of temperature difference. This assembly method allows easy and reliable installation of all parts.
Siding under the ship's board will transform the lined building for the better. In the course of further operation, there will be no need for additional special processing and painting of the walls sheathed by the ship's timber. To maintain the facades in working and clean condition, it is enough once a year to wash them with water using a hose - and they will reliably last more than a dozen years.